Sunday, April 11, 2010

FORENSICS: It's not just for CSI.


I spent most of the weekend in Harrisonburg at the VHSL (Virginia High School League)State Forensic Tournament. No, I was not at a competition for future coroners. So, lest you are conjuring up events like Fastest Autopsy, or Forensic Evidence Collection, let me set you straight. Forensics is Speech and debate. I was there because my daughter was competing in Prose. She took 5th, by the way. Since I was traveling there to take her, I also got to judge other events that were not in her division. It was a real walk down memory lane for me. I hadn't judged a Forensics competition in years, and I have to say, I was a little nervous, but it all came back to me like it was yesterday. I wasn't just walking down the judging memory lane, but also the days of my high school forensic competitions. Some of my fondest memories from high school revolve around forensics.
I went to J.R. Tucker, and we had the wonderful privilege of having one of the greatest coaches for Forensics, Therese Morse. Ms. Morse came to Tucker the same year that I did. I did Forensics all 4 years at Tucker, and Ms. Morse worked tirelessly to coach us on our pieces so we could deliver the very best performances at our tournaments. Her hard work paid off. She had a powerhouse team. Many times in competitions if the Finals had 5 participants, 4 of them were from Tucker. 3 of my 4 years, 1 or more team members went to nationals. Being in Forensics taught me so much. It built confidence. I was part of a team that supported each other, and the friendships built are ones I still have today. I don't think I ever really thanked Ms. Morse for providing that for me. It's funny when you're a kid, you never see the work that goes into something like coaching a winning Forensics team. It somehow just happens. Now, as an adult, I see what goes on behind the scenes that make things happen. I have seen what happens when there is not someone there to encourage, support and coach a student. Someone who makes sure that all the rules are followed, someone who's there when you win and when you lose with that smile that tells you I'm proud of you no matter what.
So, even though it's been over 25 years since I competed, Thank you, Ms. Morse, for giving so much of your own time to give me such wonderful times and a few trophies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some Place Where There Isn't Any Trouble

  Tonight I did something that I haven't done for quite some time. I sat down and watched The Wizard of Oz. If you have read this blog, ...