Sunday, October 10, 2010

IMAGINE

On February 7, 1964, a significant event happened to music in this country. Four young men from Liverpool, England, named John, Paul, George and Ringo arrived in the USA. I was, at the time, just over 3 months old, so I don't really remember the actual arrival or the now, legendary, appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, but The Beatles, as they were known, were a phenomenon. I would venture to say that if you stopped anyone on the street over the age of 10, they would know at least one Beatles song and probably several. I grew up hearing their music, and the one and only time I can remember seeing them on TV was an appearance on The Smothers Brothers show. They performed Let It Be live. You may like them or you may not, but no one can argue that they are pop icons and essential to any historical anthology of music in America. I wasn't an obsessive fan of The Beatles, but I did and still do love so much of their music.
Today, October 9th, is the birthday of one of The Beatles. John Lennon would have turned 70 today if he had lived. Just as I remember so vividly that amazing live performance on The Smothers Brothers Show with happiness, I also remember another event with great sadness. On December 8, 1980, I was up very late doing homework in my bedroom. I was listening to a local radio station, Q-94, when the DJ came on. You could tell by the tone of his voice that something was terribly wrong. He announced that John Lennon had just been shot outside of his apartment building in New York City. Shortly after they announced his death. I was shocked. Of all people, John  Lennon, the man who penned the words, "Give peace a chance." Someone had taken his life. It was senseless. The assassin had planned it, and in one split second he silenced forever John's contribution to our world.  Some of the most profound lyrics he ever wrote, in his death, were also the most ironic. Wherever you are, John, you don't have to "IMAGINE" anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll Never Get to Heaven Till We Reach That Day

 I first saw the musical, Ragtime, several years ago at the Dogwood Dell Festival of the Arts. Both my girls were still in elementary school...