Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Best of Times

Last night I saw a production of "La Cage aux Folles" at Richmond Triangle Players. Go see it before it closes in June. You will not be disappointed! But this is not going to be a post/review about this production. Not to say that I didn't have a great time, I did! I laughed and cried a little, and even got the chance to sing along, but obviously this production affected me on a different level. I spent most of last evening dreaming I was in "La Cage", not the production, the world. I don't remember any specifics just that my everyday life was being spent with Georges, Albin and the Cagelles, and it felt real, and right and natural! When I woke up this morning it got me to thinking. What a wonderful world to live in! The show begins with several chorus "girls" (really men in drag) singing these words, "We are what we are" filled with the witty little lines of the hes becoming shes. It's a fun little number and a great way to start the show, but the same fun little number, later in the show, turns into a grand statement of pride and affirmation when Albin as his stage persona, Zaza, sings his true feelings when he realizes that his true love Georges and the son they raised together, Jean Michel, want to hide him away because of "what he is" It's an emotional moment because up until that hurtful realization Georges' and Albin's world has been free from that reproach and judgement. They have raised a son together as man and wife, married, committed and creating an environment loving their son and each other. Obviously, my subconscious longs to be in that judgement free world. RTP (Richmond Triangle Players) creates that world in their little theater on Altamont Avenue for anyone who walks through their doors. The audience last night was dotted with couples, gay and straight, old and young, men and women. An older male couple sat in front of me and several times during the show they reached over and touched each other with affection. It was so sweet, and later in the lobby when the show was over and the cast was mingling with the patrons, straight and gay alike, it felt like home. No one was casting condemning glances or making belittling comments. In our little world inside that theater we were in the world of "La Cage," and I liked that world. So thank you, RTP and the cast of "La Cage" for creating that world for me for a few hours on a Friday night, and thank you for all you do to extend that world past your doors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll Never Get to Heaven Till We Reach That Day

 I first saw the musical, Ragtime, several years ago at the Dogwood Dell Festival of the Arts. Both my girls were still in elementary school...